5 Ways Naturopathic Medicine Can Help Seasonal Allergies
For those of us living in Vancouver, all you have to do is look out your window to know that it is allergy season. Itchy eyes, runny nose, fatigue, scratchy throat are all symptoms that you might be suffering from seasonal allergies. In fact, people can be suffering from allergies all year long, but triggers for those allergies can change throughout the year. Here are things we look at to help patients with allergies:
- Hormones: The same hormones that help us through times of stress (termed our “fight or flight” hormones) also help to mitigate inflammation. If we are feeling burned out, tired and wired, or very overwhelmed with life, you may notice that your allergies are worse this year.
- Digestive Health: The health of our digestive system dictates a large part of our immune system. Sometimes foods we eat frequently, even health foods, can create inflammation in the gut which our immune system has to process. These are termed food sensitivities. A simple blood test can determine the foods that you are reacting too.
- Hygiene: If you are enjoying the warmer weather and going for a walk or workout outside, you may have pollen in your hair or on your clothes. Pollen can then transfer to bedding, leaving your feeling “allergic” in the morning.
- Acupuncture: Sometimes the cause of allergies is not as straightforward as treating digestive health or stress. Acupuncture works at treating the cause of your symptoms through the ancient art of tongue and pulse diagnosis. Cupping may also be effective at balancing out the systems of the body.
- Supplementation: As always, we try and maximize our nutrition through a healthy diet. Supplements are sometimes beneficial to decrease the release of histamine in the body (the chemical reaction that instigates allergies). Supplementation may be effective for supporting the immune system. It is important to make sure that your supplement regime is compatible with any pharmaceutical medications.
If you are experiencing seasonal allergies, we offer several ways to support your stress hormones and digestive system. Our team of dedicated Naturopathic Physicians, Registered Acupuncturists and our Registered Holistic Nutritionist can support you through allergy season.